Eastern Europe and beyond

  • Eastern Europe and beyond

    Dear Fellow-Networkers,

    During the past few weeks, I have spent part of my time with further
    reconnoitering the possibilities for email with Eastern Europe, the USSR
    and the PRC (People's Republic of China). With the change of the political
    scene, all sorts of communication are mushrooming almost everywhere, and
    a truely International email Forum on Biomechanics and Movement Science
    should certainly be accessible from these countries.

    In this note, I'll give some pointers to other EARN/BITNET lists with their
    databases containing further information on how to reach colleagues in these
    previously isolated countries. Welcome to all of them!

    CSINFO-L@CSEARN -- Csechoslowakian discussion list (largely in Czech/Slowak)
    HUNGARY@UCSBVM -- Hungarian discussion list (mostly in English)
    RUSTEX-L@UBVM -- Russian (La)TeX discussion list, with many email items
    (other Russian lists tend to be highly political)
    INFONETS@DEARN -- Information on Networking developments
    PLEARN-L@UBVM -- Discussion about Polish EARN topics
    CHINANET@TAMVM1 -- Networking with the PRC and between Chinese elsewhere
    (rather quiet, unlike some other Chinese lists)
    BALT-L@UBVM -- Discussions about the Baltic republics (Estonia, Latvia,
    Lithuania), with many useful files including email
    databases and information about universities.

    I am not claiming completeness; however, there is considerable overlap
    between these and a number of other lists. For some of these lists, the
    archives are PRV (i.e., for subscribers only), so one should (temporarily)
    subscribe to obtain read access. However, subscription is open for all
    of these lists.

    Among the East-European countries, Czechoslowakia, Hungary, Poland and
    Yugoslavia are currently connected to EARN/BITNET; just send a SEND BITNET
    NODELST line to a nearby NETSERVer on EARN/BITNET (typically, your country's
    EARN/BITNET backbone, e.g., NETSERV@HEARN in The Netherlands, NETSERV@BITNIC
    in the USA), and scan these for the relevant 2-letter country codes preceded
    by a comma, i.e., ",CZ", ",HU", ",PL" and ",YU". If you don't know a nearby
    NETSERVer, just use one of these addresses, and you may receive a statement
    which NETSERVer is a closer possibility.

    If you wish to obtain further information about any of the nodes in this
    database, you can send the request SEND NODENTRY node_name to the NETSERVer;
    you will then obtain further particulars about that node, including the names
    and email addresses of various contact persons. These can be approached if
    you have problems in contacting any particular person at that node (don't
    overload these officials, though!).

    Information on other networks is less easily obtained -- at least for me,
    since I have more experience with EARN/BITNET. However, the various lists
    stated above provide a wealth of information on EARN/BITNET, Internet, and
    UUCP/EUnet/EurOpen addresses and developments. For further pointers, just
    send a SEND NETSERV FILELIST to the NETSERVer.

    While Eastern Europe and the USSR are becoming increasingly accessible,
    the PRC is somewhat more problematic. There is one published link between
    Karlsruhe/FRG and Beijing/PRC, addressable as user_id@ica.beijing.canet.cn
    or as user_id%ica.beijing.canet.cn@ira.uka.de, but traffic is limited: see
    the posting below from Usenet's soc.culture.china group of last November.
    Nevertheless, this is a true opening into a formerly very inaccessible
    country, and one hopes that this will improve within the next few years!

    In view of the above, I am happy to communicate that we now have a few
    Russian, Polish, and Czechoslowakian subscribers; may many more follow!

    Finally, the First International Conference on Networking (INET-'91) will
    take place from 17 through 20 June 1990 in Copenhagen, Denmark, organized
    by Frode Greisen, President of the EARN Executive Board. The program has
    been published in (send the request SEND INET91 PROGRAM to LISTSERV@NEUVM1
    on EARN/BITNET), and further information can be obtained from the following
    addresses:

    inet91@vm.uni-c.dk (Europe)
    inet91@educom.edu (North America)
    inet91@wide.ad.jp (Pacific Rim)

    Postal addresses, fax and telephone numbers are available in the programme.
    Among others, there is a special session on email with Eastern Europe and
    the USSR.

    Herman J. Woltring, Eindhoven, The Netherlands

    From: zorn@ira.uka.de (Prof. Dr. Werner Zorn)
    Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
    Subject: Help funding of E-Mail with China
    Date: 5 Nov 90 17:14:24 GMT

    Dear friends,

    The E-mail connection to Beijing via Karlsruhe/Germany is, as most of you
    probably know, still active and the external link to CANET - the Chinese
    Academic Network initiative.

    In China there is great interest in connecting to the mail relay at the
    ICA (Institute for Computer Applications) in Beijing and everybody is
    also willing to help in propagating the network services to more univer-
    sities and research institutes (6 are actually polling). But the main
    problem is:

    - nearly all universitites are out of funds and cannot afford the
    communication costs even within China ( Beijing - Karlsruhe is
    payed by ICA; Karlsruhe - rest of the world by Karlsruhe).

    One idea to help from outside is trying to find people or institutions, who
    are interested in communicating with colleagues or partners in China and are
    able as well as willing to put money - dedicated or not - into a China com-
    munication costs fund out of which those PTT-costs within China may be payed.
    Our chinese friends estimate for the average cost 1.500 Yuan/month and uni-
    versity, corresponding to about 300 US$/month and university.

    If anybody is willing to join this activity or has some other ideas, please
    contact me under "zorn@ira.uka.de".

    Regards -- Werner Zorn

    Prof. W. Zorn, Uni Karlsruhe