CANET link with the People's Republic of China

  • CANET link with the People's Republic of China

    Dear Biomch-L readers,

    Following my posting on `Eastern Europe and beyond' the other day, it is a
    pleasure to post the note below received this morning from Tian-Bai Qian in
    Beijing, following some earlier exchanges including the Biomch-L archive for
    May 1991. Mr Qian has asked me not to send any further lengthy files -- for
    cost reasons until such time that one or more Chinese networkers apply for
    it. At the present time, I believe that only 6 other institutions are `pol-
    ling' data from the Beijing Institute for Computer Applications.

    If you wish to get in touch with Chinese colleagues by email, it might be
    prudent to use other channels for giving your contacts the information below,
    so that they may determine on their own whether they have the interest and
    means to join CANET, the Chinese Academic NETwork. Of course, Prof. Zorn's
    Nov 90 posting to Usenet's soc.culture.china quoted in my posting the other
    day may be relevant!

    Regards, Herman J. Woltring.
    Date: Fri, 31 May 91 15:25 CHINA TIME +100
    From: QIAN@ica.beijing.canet.cn
    Subject: RE: Your note of Thu, 30 May 91 16:35 CHINA TIME +100
    To: UGDIST@NICI.KUN.NL

    Dear Mr. Woltring,

    At present, CANET is accessible for any academic community of China through
    the CHINAPAC (national X.25 PDN) or the dialup telephone links. The partici-
    pants should pay the international communication fees and the initial instal-
    lation fee.

    Administrative contact:

    Tian-bai Qian
    Institute for Computer Applications