Re: Acoustic transducers for knee kinematics data collection

  • Re: Acoustic transducers for knee kinematics data collection

    At 16.20 16/09/96 +0200, you wrote:

    Dear biomch-l subscribers,

    Some times ago i have send this mail

    > I work in the Biomechanics Laboratory of Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute,
    >Bologna, Italy and I am interested in the possibility of using an Acoustic
    >Transducer in knee kinematics investigations. Such a device has been used by
    >Quinn and Mote in 1990 (ASME J. Biomech. Eng., Vol 112, pp. 371-378) and by
    >Hart et al. in 1991 (ASME J. Biomech. Eng., Vol. 113, pp. 215-221).
    >
    > I used a 6DOF electromagnetic sensor (Flock of Birds) for similar
    >purposes, but unfortunately its performances are strongly affected by the
    >presence of metal in the surroundings.
    >
    > I would be therefore very grateful if somebody could give me some
    >information on acoustic 6DOF sensors. More in detail:
    >
    >1) In which conditions does the sensor ensure the precisions reported in the
    >paper by Quinn and Mote (distance and environment constraints)?
    >2) Which is the weight of each component of the instrumentation?
    >3) Is it easy to use (mounting, setup configuration, interfacing, available
    >software etc.)?
    >
    > Any other information about its use in kinematic data collection will of
    >course be valuable. I will post a summary of the responses.

    I have not reiceived much informations on the use of such kind of sensor for
    kinematic investigations.
    If you visit http://bei.moscow.com/sac.html for 3D sensors built by Science
    Accesories Corporation Digitizer you can see that the limit of such
    instruments is accuracy in a large environment (+/-0.05 inches). In order to
    have a better accuracy you probably need to reduce the range of motion.
    I have not obtained informations, yet, concerning a manufacturer of 6DOF
    accoustic transducer sensor.

    Luigi Nizzi Grifi

    ISTITUTI ORTOPEDICI RIZZOLI (II.OO.R)
    Lab. Biomeccanica biomec@bo.nettuno.it
    via di Barbiano 1/10 fax: (+39).51.583 789
    I-40136 Bologna