Re: Unit of Force?

  • Re: Unit of Force?

    ----------
    > From: Steve Wood
    > To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
    > Subject: Unit of Force?
    > Date: Tuesday, April 01, 1997 9:17 PM
    >
    > Dear subscribers:
    >
    > I have recently come across a unit of measure which I have not seen
    > before - "kp". Can anyone provide me with a description of this term?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your time.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Steve Wood
    > --
    > __________________________________________________ ___
    >
    > Steve Wood
    > Biomechanics Research & Consulting, Inc.
    > 840 Apollo Street, Suite 218
    > El Segundo, CA 90245
    > Office: (310)615-3112 Office Fax: (310)615-3038
    > Home: (310)796-5734 email: steve@brcinc.com
    > BRC World Wide Web site: http://www.brcinc.com

    Hi Steve, a kp is a kilopond, an older unit of force. It is basically 1 kg
    of force, I remember it from old cycle ergometers. Today the recognized
    unit, as you probably already know is the Newton (N), 1 kg of force = 9.807
    N. Hope that clears things up for you.

    Tyler Amell

    Occupational Biomechanics/Ergonomics
    School of Rehabilitation Therapy