Re: HSC: RE: Industrial Sewing

  • Re: HSC: RE: Industrial Sewing

    D.Darren MacDonald wrote:

    > I am looking for some background information on Industrial Sewing, I
    > realize that most of the problem will be with the constrained postures
    >
    > involved. If anyone can add some insight it would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Regards....Darren
    > --
    > **
    > -***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***
    > D.Darren MacDonald, BScK CB Safety Training Limited,
    > Ergonomist 106 Reserve St., Suite 111,
    > Glace Bay, NS B1A 5V4
    > CANADA
    > E-mail: ergo@auracom.com
    > Internet: WWW.AURACOM.COM/~CBSAFETY
    > ***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***-***
    > ***-***-***-***-***-***-***

    In an industrial sewing operation there is likely to be a very diverse
    assortment of manufacturing processes. I'll post only one for you,
    followed by sage advise. If you require more detail please respond to me
    directly.

    JOB DESCRIPTION FOR FINISHING SEW

    The finishing operation can be done in a sitting position or standing
    position with the stock located to the operator's left. Machine height
    depends on worker's preference. Acquiring the stock requires thirty
    degrees of trunk rotation as well as partial shoulder flexion and
    abduction and elbow extension. The final part of the operation involves
    attaching two seperately designed pieces. This particular movement
    involves a slight elbow extension with minimal to no effort. The other
    part of the operation involves sewing the facing to the back of the
    part. The right arm is in an abducted position holding the material with
    a lateral grip under the left arm. The left hand is usually flat against
    the material, however lateral gripping is occassionally necessary when
    sewing around corners. The left wrist is usually radial deviated, when
    sewing around corners wrist abduction is necessary. These movements
    require slightly higher than moderate effort by the sewer. The sewing
    machine is operated through planter and dorsi flexion on the foot pedal
    which can be operated using the left or right foot. The finished piece
    is discarded forwards requiring left elbow extension. A certain
    percentage of the time is also given to walking to get stock and
    material, changing thread, changing needles or performing tasks not
    directly involved in the sewing process.

    - It is most important to have the sewing machine properly set up. A
    good mechanic can make all the difference in ergo matters. The feed-dogs
    must be adjusted to diminish the act of feeding or pulling the material.

    - much consideration must be given to proper stock location within the
    sewers work environment.
    - A lot of focus must also be placed on not only what type of seat is
    utilized, but more importantly, the worker must understand the necessary
    adjustments and settings in relation to body size.
    - If it is a stand-up machine, it should have a proper ergo foot pedal
    and pad in place.

    Hope this helps. Unfortunately the information you need could literally
    fill many books. We have experienced a very high rate of injury at our
    plant.

    Mark C. Parent
    CAW Health & Safety Rep.
    Peregrine Incorporated