(Fwd) Osteogenisis Imperfecta and Mechanical Lifts

  • (Fwd) Osteogenisis Imperfecta and Mechanical Lifts

    Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 05:41:16 -0700
    From: gosscorn@lr.net (Thelma W. Wakefield)
    To: tech-sis@fortnet.org
    Subject: Osteogenisis Imperfecta and Mechanical Lifts
    ---------------================================-----------------
    From: gosscorn@lr.net (Thelma W. Wakefield)
    ---------------================================-----------------

    A child I have worked with for several years has a severe form of
    Osteogenisis Imperfecta and continues to sustain fractures from
    relatively minor incidents. He has gained quite a bit of weight over
    the last year and a half and though he is very short he now weighs
    almost 60 pounds. The method used to lift him safely (as far as his
    bones are concerned) entails the lifter putting one hand under his
    Ischial Tuberosities, the other hand behind his back to balance him and
    lifting up and out of his wheelchair. Unfortunatly, he is getting too
    heavy to lift by one person and I am afraid that use of a second lifter
    or a standard mechanical lift sling may cause additional fractures.

    It is really hard to envision a method that doesn't put stress on his
    ribs or limbs. So far what I envision is a lifting device based on the
    "forklift under a pallet" theory but fear this may be very expensive to
    implement.

    Has anyone had experience with the use of a mechanical lift with an
    individual with OI? I would appreciate hearing about any experiences
    either successful or unsuccessful.

    Thanks, T. Sammie Wakefield
    From: gosscorn@lr.net (Thelma W. Wakefield)