Re: Impact or Turns on Running Performance

  • Re: Impact or Turns on Running Performance

    Below are the replies along with my initial question about turn performance.
    I did find the following two references which I plan on getting.

    1. J Biomech 20(7) 667-680, 1987 Sprinting on banked turns, PR Greene
    2. J Biomech Eng 107(2), 96-103, 1985 Running on flat turns, PR Greene

    Also looked at the example given in Beer and Johnston. Not exactly
    what I'm looking for, no friction terms.

    Thanks for the feedback

    Larry Wellman
    wellman@oasys.dt.navy.mil
    ******************************** Initial Question ******
    Subject: Impact or Turns on Running Performance
    To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL

    I'm looking for information about the impact of turn radius and bank
    angle on running performance. I would like the equations instead a
    reference. In reviewing mens indoor and outdoor world records there
    is about a 3 percent difference below 400m and only about 1-2 percent
    at distances greater then 800m. Is there a max. speed on turns?

    *********Replies*******
    Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 17:27:50 +0100
    From: Jim Martin
    Subject: Re: Impact or Turns on Running Performance

    I'd also be interested to read this, any chance of replying to the list?

    Jim Martin.

    \|/
    @ @
    ------------------oOO-(_)-OOo------------------
    * *
    * Jim Martin Jim.Martin@bristol.ac.uk *
    * *
    * Flight Mechanics Laboratory *
    * School of Biological Sciences *
    * The University of Bristol *
    * Woodland Road *
    * Bristol *
    * BS8 1UG *
    * *
    * Tel: +44 01179 289000 ext. 3794 *

    Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 12:26:02 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Jason Michael Blank

    Larry,
    You probably already know this but. . .
    Be careful of attributing the entire difference in indoor/outdoor
    performances to the track. World-class athletes usually center their
    training around the summer grand-prix season and put much less emphasis
    on the indoor season.
    Of course, if you've ever watched an indoor track meet, you know
    that the turns are much harder on the sprinters than the distance
    runners because of the difference in speed. Another factor is that the
    400m is run in lanes outdoors but is a bit of a free-for-all indoors.

    Jason Blank
    jmb4@acpub.duke.edu

    Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:36:08 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Douglas Chang

    Hi,

    I don't have any data for you, but as an indoor and outdoor runner there
    is another important consideration besides simple kinematic equations. The
    indoor season tends to be in winter whereas the outdoor season occurs
    after that in the Spring/Summer.

    In addition to the turns, we runners felt that the increased conditioning/
    training as well as the psychological feeling of being unbounded and un-
    imprisoned contributed to the increased speeds of the outdoor season.

    -Doug

    From: younghui@uclink4.berkeley.edu (Young Hui Chang)

    hi larry,
    i don't mean to get your hopes up (b/c unfortunately i don't have
    any answers for you!). but i am interested in getting a list of the
    reponses you get to your question about max. speed in running around
    curves. i've had some interest in rotational movements in locomotion
    (including curve running) and would enjoy hearing what people have to say
    about it. thanks.
    cheers,

    Young Hui Chang

    Young Hui Chang, M.S.
    (it's pronounced "young-hee")

    e-mail:

    snail-mail: 3060 VLSB
    Locomotion Lab
    Dept. of Human Biodynamics
    University of California
    Berkeley, CA 94720-3140

    Phone: 510-642-8662
    Fax: 510-643-6264

    ---------"Learning how animals get from here to there."---------

    Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:10:30 +0100
    From: Neil Smith
    Subject: Impact or Turns on Running Performance -Reply

    I would be interested to hear any findings you gain into the banking problem.
    Could you please mail me with any replies you get.

    Cheers in advance
    Neal Smith
    Sports Biomechanics Laboratory
    Chichester Institute
    England

    Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:19:41 -0400
    From: "D. Gordon E. Robertson, Ph.D."

    There is a sample problem in Beer and Johnston's Vector Mechanics
    for Engineers: Dynamics that shows how to compute the banking for cars.
    Look in the index under "banking of curves."
    May the moment of force be with you.

    D. Gordon E. Robertson, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor of Biomechanics
    dger@uottawa.ca

    Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:15:44 -0700
    From: jindrich@uclink2.berkeley.edu (Devin Jindrich)

    Dear Mr. Wellman --

    Did you ever receive any references in response to this post? If so, I
    would be very interested if you could pass them on to me. I am studying
    turning in insects and have references for insect turning (few with
    equations, however), but have not been able to find too many references for
    turning in other animals.

    Thank you very much in advance,

    Devin Jindrich

    Devin L. Jindrich
    Department of Integrative Biology jindrich@uclink2.berkeley.edu
    University of California, Berkeley PH: 510-643-5183
    Berkeley, CA 94720-3140 FAX: 510-643-6264
    http://polypedal.berkeley.edu/jindrich/D_Jindrich.html
    From: "Doug McClymont"
    Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:03:45 +1200

    Larry,

    You will get some interesting detail from Hugh Morton at:

    H.Morton@massey.ac.nz

    Regards

    Doug McClymont
    (senior lecturer in Physical Education)