summary: passive muscle mechanics

  • summary: passive muscle mechanics

    Thank you to the following for their replies:

    > I'm looking for information on passive muscle mechanics of the human
    quads,
    > either as a unit or of the individual muscles. A literature search has
    > yielded only length-tension curves for animal muscles (i.e. rabbit and
    cat).
    > Has anyone done any in vitro tensile tests of the human quads or some
    > similar experiment?
    >
    > Thank you, I will post a summary of replies.
    >
    > Deirdre A. Campbell
    > Research Engineer
    > Dept. of Biomechanics and Biomaterials
    > Hospital for Special Surgery
    > New York, NY 10021
    > email: campbelld@hss.edu

    Rob Herbert wrote:

    I know that Y.H. Heerkens did her thesis at Vrije University on "Passive
    resistance of the human knee in vivo". Parts of the thesis have been
    published (co-authored, from memory, by PA Huijing, GJ van Ingen Schenau,
    Rozendal and Huson) although I do not have the references at hand.

    At Hof gave the following references:

    These papers contain data on hip flexion with a straight knee,
    Goeken, LNH, and Hof, AL Instrumental straight - leg raising: A new approach
    to Lasegue's test. Archs Phys. Med. Rehabil. 72:959-966
    Goeken, LNH, and Hof, AL Instrumental straight - leg raising:Results in
    healthy subjects. Archs Phys. Med. Rehabil. 74: 194-203

    Prof. Joe Mizrahi gave the following references:

    Gita, Mizrahi et al: IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 40:664-674, 1993
    Gita, Mizrahi et al: ASME Trans. Biomed. Eng. 118:357-366, 1996

    Prof. Yasuo Kawakami gave the following references:

    Niselle, R., and Ekholm, J. Joint load during the parallel squat in
    powerlifting and force analysis of in vivo bilateral quadriceps tendon
    rupture. Scand. J. Sports Sci. 8:63-70, 1986

    Narici, M.V., Landoni, L., and Minetti, A.E. Assessment of human knee
    extensor muscle stress from in vivo physiological cross-sectional area and
    strength measurements. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 65:438-444, 1992

    Blevins, F.T., Hecker, A.T., Bigler, G.T., Boland, A.L., and Hayes, W. The
    effect of donor age and strain rate on the biomechanical properties of
    bone-patellar tendon-bone allografts. Am. J. Sports Med. 22: 328-333, 1994