    Many thanks to all that replied to my request for models of the foot.

    Best reply was from Masaaki Mochimaru, who has exactly the kind of
    models we need, in the right format, for a whole range of different
    people. Perfect!
    You can see these models at:

    http://www.aist.go.jp/NIBH/ourpages/foot/73dimshape.html

    Georg Duda has segmented the bones of the visible human foot, but is
    still refining the segmentation process and would be grateful if
    anyone has 3d vector data on the visible human feet.

    My own contribution: There are several companies that sell this type
    of data, for example Viewpoint Datalabs

    http://www.viewpoint.com/indexb.html

    and Zygote

    http://www.zygote.com/

    I haven't looked into either of these properly, but I noticed that
    Zygote for one has a nice model of the bones of the foot.

    Here are the replies in full:

    From: Masaaki Mochimaru
    Subject: Re: Models of feet?

    Dear Dr. Evans,

    your article to BIOMCH-L:
    > Does anyone have a solid model of a typical adult foot, preferably in
    > IGES format, that they would be willing to share?

    We can share a solid model of the average foot of Japanese adult
    females. You can see our model in the following URL:

    http://www.aist.go.jp/NIBH/ourpages/foot/73dimshape.html

    If you are interested in our model, please mail to me.
    Our model is in DXF format, but we can convert it to IGES format.

    Best regards,
    Masaaki Mochimaru, Ph.D.

    From: Georg Duda
    To: SAM EVANS

    Dr. Evans,

    in case somebody points you to a source on 3D vector data of
    the visible human feet it would be great if you could forward
    this reference to us. In addition, we could supply you with
    very rough data on this foot (male, bony contours). However,
    the bones in our data base are not realy segmented appropriately.
    Currently, we are running into technical problems to get a smooth
    and nice segmentation of the various foot bones...

    Thanks,

    Georg Duda
    Dr.-Ing. Georg Duda
    Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery
    - Research Laboratory -
    Charite, Campus Virchow-Clinic, Humboldt University
    Augustenburger Platz 1, D-13 353 Berlin
    tel: +49.30.450.59079 (office) +49.30.450.52032 (sekretary)
    fax: +49.30.450.59969
    email: duda@charite.de
    www: http://www.rz.charite.hu-berlin.de/rv/deo/forsch/

    From: Michael Guttormsen

    At 12:32 20.04.98 GMT0BST, you wrote:
    >Does anyone have a solid model of a typical adult foot, preferably in
    >IGES format, that they would be willing to share?
    >We want to do some calculations of the inertial properties
    >of the foot as part of an ongoing project to develop accurate 3D
    >inverse dynamics software.
    >References for experimental measurements of the inertia properties of
    >the foot would also be appreciated.
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Sam Evans.
    >
    >Dr. Sam Evans,
    >Medical Systems Engineering Research Unit,
    >UWC School of Engineering,
    >PO Box 688, The Parade,
    >Cardiff CF2 3TE, UK.
    >Tel. (01222) 874533 or (01222) 874000 x5926
    >Fax. (01222) 874533

    Hi

    Would you share your answers to me ?

    Regards

    Michael Guttormsen, M.S.E.E
    Norwegian University of sport and physical education
    Postbox 4014, Ullevaal Hageby
    0806 Oslo
    tlf : +47 2218 5785
    fax : +47 2218 5718