Re: Stone Carvers' Hammers

  • Re: Stone Carvers' Hammers

    Hi Geoffrey,

    At 04:57 AM 6/16/98 +0000, you wrote:

    >No one, so far, has tackled the question as to the way the rock
    >fractures.
    >
    > Will there be a difference when it is struck with a light high velocity
    >missile (hammer head) or a large slowly moving one ?

    Interesting question. If impulse has anything to do with it, as I think it
    does, the mass of a hammer would make a difference. Given a certain amount
    of kinetic energy (m*v^2) the impulse of a heavier object (m*v) will be
    higher than that of a lighter object. Similarly, to obtain a certain
    impulse, the kinetic energy and therefore the energy the carver has to
    'invest' during the swing will be lower for a heavier hammer. Any takers
    from here?

    Regards,

    Edsko Hekman