    Dear Biomech-L readers,

    thanks to all who responded to my questions on movements of the spine during
    gait.

    Regards,

    Simone Monreal

    Here are the replies:

    look in the journal calles Gait and Posture. there have been 2 or 3
    papers (Crosbie et al., Rowe et al., Whittle et al. are the ones i am
    thinking of) published in the last 2-3 years on spine and locomotion.
    good luck.

    gordy alderink

    Simone,
    I would recommend as an important source: The Spinal Engine, by Serge
    Gracovetsky, Springer-Verlag 1988.
    --

    Tony Brosky, MS,PT,SCS
    Assistant Professor

    Carroll College
    Department of Physical Therapy
    100 North East Avenue
    Waukesha, WI 53186 USA

    Phone: (414) 524-7669
    Department Fax: (414) 524-7690
    email: tbrosky@carroll1.cc.edu

    Simone
    I don't have my list of references in front of me, but off hand I would
    recommend looking at the work of Assaiante et al and David Krebs. I am
    looking at frontal plane motion of the "thoracic" and "pelvic" segments of
    the trunk in my research on the development of walking. Let me know if
    you have any specific questions I could help you out on. I will be
    interested to see the summary of your responses.
    Victoria Haehl
    Indiana University
    Department of Kinesiology

    Dear Simone:
    There have been a number of publications on spinal motion during
    walking, especially during the last 2-3 years, and mainly in Gait and
    Posture. Below I have given some relevant references.
    Best wishes,
    Mike Whittle

    Thurston AJ, Whittle MW, Stokes IAF. 1981 Spinal and pelvic movement
    during walking - a new method of study. Engineering in Medicine. 10,
    219-222.
    Pearcy MJ, Whittle MW. 1982 Movements of the lumbar spine measured by
    three-dimensional x-ray analysis. Journal of Biomedical Engineering. 4,
    107-112.
    Whittle MW, Levine DF. 1995 Sagittal plane motion of the lumbar spine
    during normal gait. Gait and Posture. 3, 82.
    Rowe PJ, White M 1996 Three dimensional, lumbar spinal kinematics
    during gait, following mild musculo-skeletal low back pain in nurses.
    Gait and Posture. 4, 242-251
    Crosbie J, Vachalathiti R, Smith R. 1997 Patterns of spinal motion
    during walking. Gait and Posture. 5, 6-12.
    Whittle MW, Levine 1998 Three-dimensional lumbar spinal motion in
    walking: a comparison between three studies. NACOB 98, University of
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    Whittle M, Levine D, Burke M 1998 Three-dimensional motion of the lumbar
    spine during normal gait. Gait and Posture. 7, 153.
    Whittle MW, Levine DL 1998 Three-dimensional relationships between the
    movements of the pelvis and lumbar spine in walking. Fifth International
    Symposium on the Three-Dimensional Analysis of Human Movement,
    Chattanooga, USA.

    Simone,

    How about:
    Rattanaprasert U, Smith RM, Gilleard W (1997) Three dimensional kinematics
    of normal walking gait using a five segment model. Proceedings of the XVIth
    International Congress on Biomechanics, International Society of
    Biomechanics. Tokyo. p 140.
    Vachalathiti R, Crosbie J, Smith RM (1995) Effects of age, gender and speed
    on three dimensional lumbar spine kinematics. Australian Journal of
    Physiotherapy. 41, 245-253.
    Crosbie J, Vachalatiti R, Smith RM (1997) Age, gender and speed effects on
    spinal kinematics during walking. Gait and Posture. 5, 13-20

    Hope these help.

    Richard

    At 03:08 PM 7/23/98 +0200, you wrote:
> [...]

    Richard

    At 03:08 PM 7/23/98 +0200, you wrote:
    >Dear Biomechlers,
    >
    >I'm working on human gait with special focus on the movements of the spine.
    >Not so much on the torques because the 3D-video-method we apply can't deal
    >very well with small angles occuring around one axis (here vertical). What
    >I'm especially looking for is literature on movements in the frontal- and
    >sagittal plane. Unfortunately for me most papers on human gait kinematics
    >are about the lower extremities. Till now I have only found some articles
    >from Stokes et al.(1989), Thorstensson et al.(1984) and some from van
    >Emmerik and Wagenaar.
    >
    >So I would be very grateful for any hints as where to search for literature
    >about spine and trunk movements during walking.
    >Thanks in advance to everyone who will respond, all replies will be sent to

    Mike Whittle presented some data on this at the GCMA meetings (formally
    NASGCMA) over the past few years.