Re: Summary: Isokinetic and isometric testing for impairmentevaluat

    Javier Sanchez Lacuesta wrote:

    > Dear friends:
    > I regret I have had only two answers to my question posted last week.
    > I have decided to include the two answers received for your
    > consideration, although I know you will be disappointed.
    > Perhaps Biomechanics has not penetrated much yet in the field...
    > Regards,

    These responses generated a bit of interest on my part. I must agree
    that they do not specifically address your question (as I was hoping
    they would). So here's my $.02 worth (or maybe that's all it is worth);

    The AMA's Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 4th Edition
    contains a recommendation for classification of motor deficit on page 49
    (table 12a) and for the procedure (table 12b). From the descriptions
    contained within these tables, they appear to assume that manual muscle
    testing is performed. These descriptions also do not lend themselves to
    any type of computer based muscle testing (I'll be happy to forward
    these upon request).

    Depending on where you are located these guides may not apply. Here in
    the US, they are officially used in close to 80% of the state worker's
    comp systems, with most of the other 20% using them in one fashion or
    another, unofficially.

    There was an well constructed article regarding impairment ratings of
    the upper extremity published recently in the Journal of Back and
    Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation 8(1997)9-17 by Frank E. Jones entitled
    'Impairment ratings and disability issues of the upper extremity'. While
    it does not specifically address your question, it does discuss
    procedures for evaluating motor deficit in upper extremity impairment
    evaluations.

    Hope this helps!
    --

    Steve
    stevev@chiro.org

    Stephen W. Vaitl, D.C.
    Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician
    Certified Chiropractic Extremity Practitioner
    Director of Rehabilitation
    Assistant Professor, Department of Principles and Practice
    Cleveland Chiropractic College - Kansas City
    6401 Rockhill Rd
    K.C., MO 64131