    From: Michael J. Worden, H/FI [SMTP:fitness@warwick.net]
    Sent: Friday, August 14, 1998 7:17 PM
    To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
    Subject: BACK-WARDS PEDALING ON STATIONARY CYCLES

    To the Group:
    I am searching for advice on a question that has been raised at our
    fitness studio: is it safe to pedal in reverse on a studio cycle
    (weighted fly wheel = 38 pounds)? I do not believe that it is
    biomechanically sound to do so, not to mention potentially dangerous. I
    would appreciate any professional opinions on the matter.

    Michael J. Worden