Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information about EMG Systems

Hello Everyone,

We are looking for a suitable EMG System to validate our musculoskeletal simulations. Due to our limited budget, we have come up with only two models:
    1) Delsys Trigno 4 Channel Wireless EMG System (Wireless)
    2) Noraxon1400-8 channels (Wired)
    Being that the first one is wireless, it is more desired for us.

I appreciate if you share any experience (pros and cons, signal quality, etc) you have in working with these two systems. Furthermore, if you know of any other models for less than 20K $, let me know please.

Regards,
    Mohammad Sharif
    University of Waterloo

Re: Information about EMG Systems

Hi Mohammad,
    I tested several systems in the last years.
    The two favorite ones were:
    www.myon.ch
    and
    www.tmsi.com.

Myon is a top wireless EMG system.
    TMSI is a cable system on a digital base, and works also for EEG, ECG, EMG. The price is surprisingly low.

Regards

Beat

Comment

Hello Mohammed

Also please check Mega'ME6000 and WBA systems. WBA is wireless system and ME6000 datalogger with WLAN telemetry

www.megaemg.com

Comment

Hello Mohammed,
        We are selling our MEGA ME6000 system. It is a nice 8 channel system, good signal quality and is wireless (wires from electrodes to pack, wireless from pack to computer). It works either as a data logger or by wireless real-time interactive communication with the computer software. The downside for us was that we could not get the synchronization pulse to work properly in order to synchronize with our motion capture equipment. That synch function was not working and perhaps needs to be sent to MEGA to be fixed. Otherwise, it is a good system and reasonably good software for data reduction. We are selling it for $6000. I have not yet had a chance to post it on the biomch-L server yet. Please let me know if you are interested.

Tanya Garcia-Nolen
        Veterinary Orthopedic Research Laboratory
        University of California, Davis
        tcgarcia@ucdavis.edu

Comment

Dear Mohammad Sharif,

What are the criteria for your EMG system selection? How many channels are you looking for, what sort of EMG bandwidth, do you plan to use the systems stand-alone or with other equipment like a 3D motion capture system?

Regards,
          Edmund Cramp
          Motion Lab Systems, Inc.
          Baton Rouge, LA 70816 USA
          Tel: (225) 272-7364

Comment

Good point Edmund. Mohammad, if you plan on using the EMG with 3D motion capture, especially if you end up getting wireless EMG, then software compatibility between what you use for 3D data collection and EMG data collection is a very important consideration.

Comment

Very good point. We have a XSENS MVN suit (wireless) that we really like to use it with the EMG system. I exactly do not know the EMG bandwidth we need, but we mostly have gait (lower extremity) and some forearm motions. for gait, 8channels are needed at least; however if there is a possibility to upgrade the EMG system in the future so that it supports more channels like 16, it will be great.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks so much,
              Mohammad

Comment

Hi Mohammad,

I sent you a "private" message earlier but it's not clear if Ton has that feature working yet. We are an EMG system vendor but I'm not going to clutter up the forum with commercial information.

Opinions about the bandwidth needed for EMG data collection vary - mainly because people look at EMG in different ways. If you want basic muscle activation patterns from surface muscles then a system with a bandwidth up to ~500Hz will work. If you plan to use fine-wire electrodes than you'll want a system that can handle signals up to at least 1kHz, preferably higher - you can put fine-wire signals into a lower bandwidth system but you will lose the high frequency components of the fine-wire EMG data. If you want to perform spectral analysis of the EMG data then you will need an system bandwidth of at least 1kHz.

In general a tethered system will be more reliable and cost less than a telemetry system with equivalent features and quality. With the prevalence telemetry in the 2.4GHz ISM band shared with WiFi, Bluetooth, Zigbee etc (your XSENS system works in this band) you would need to make sure than any wireless EMG system will play friendly in your lab before you purchase it.

Note that some telemetry systems will introduce time delays in the EMG signal of 20-40ms. This can make accurate synchronization with third-party equipment (force plates, motion data etc) difficult by introducing lags of several frames between the EMG and the 3D motion data. This may cause problems if you want to do any real-time work.

Edmund Cramp
                Motion Lab Systems, Inc.

Comment

Konigsburg also provides an excellent telemetered EMG system. The are located in Pasadena, CA ( USA) We have used their system for over 20 years and they have provided excellent service, follow-up, and creative solutions for a variety of challenges in unique data collection environments.

Jill McNitt-Gray, USC Biomechanics Research Lab

Comment

Hello Mohammad,

I also represent an EMG system vendor, namely Myon from Switzerland, and would like to just reply to a couple of points raised by others on this thread.

If the wireless system has a fixed known latency, it means that it can be synchronised with other equipment. I don't know if the XSens system includes a possibility to capture an analog data stream from a 3rd party device such as force plates or EMG and/or if the latency of the actual XSens system itself is fixed/known, but if it is then it will be possible to get synchronous results by applying an offset to the data stream. In addition, if the wireless system has a very low latency, then real time work should not be a problem.

A tethered system may cost slightly less at the point of purchase, but when you consider the "hidden" costs such as the extra time to apply and route the wires, the added discomfort for the subject being measured and the potential for something going wrong with, or noise being picked up by, all the wires, the comparison could end up looking very different.

Best regards,
                    Lasse Roren

Comment

Working...
                    X