Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Portable Gait Analysis Tool

Originally posted by naborghese48 View Post
    I would use a couple of Kinects. Simple, small cost, easy to use... Sw has to be developed on purpose.
    Alberto,

Do you know of any gait analysis software packages for the kinect? This seems like a great solution if it could work (especially because of price and simplicity). Not really familiar with the technology, though, can you provide more information if you have it?

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mj_pt View Post
      Sina,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at Xsens, and asked some of my PT friends and colleagues about their technology, since they are probably the best know company in the field. I hate to say it, but I haven't heard anything positive about their technology, at least for my specific use. I do not want wires strun across my patient's bodies, and their wireless IMUs are too new to trust (they didn't work at the Neuroscience 2010 conference In San Diego). I also don't have the ability to analyze the data myself, which is why I suggested the three companies originally, because they offer a solution for my needs.

Mark
      Dear Mark,

I am Colleen Monaghan, Product Manager for the movement Science department of Xsens. While I am not here to encourage you one way or another about purchasing equipment, I would very much like to draw attention to what you have published here. You are correct that the MTw is a new product and I expect that many studies will be carried out in the coming years with associated publications. However, what you saw at Neuroscience (what I personally demonstrated) was a prototype of a not yet existing product. The purpose of Neuroscience was to show that this product was coming soon.

There are countless research articles where Xsens has been used for analysis of kinematics, including gait analysis. However, as you pointed out, you are looking for something out of the box, and we at Xsens are very clear that we provide the tools for which users can take and create their own specific analysis software.

Many factors must be considered when making measurements, very robust protocols must be followed to ensure that data can be evaluated and compared, not just from subject to subject, but within subjects. As you are aware, data should be used to assess if the subject has improved or not, so a very stable baseline on which to make comparisons is needed. This is not just for Xsens products, but for any technology that you choose to use.

I wish you every success in finding a good solution to your needs and we are willing to enter discussions about our products.

Kind Regards,
      Colleen Monaghan

Comment

Mark,
        I am affiliated with a product development group called Walkjoy. There are two products in Beta test one of which, Walking Health, might fit your portability requirements. The units are used in pairs and are placed on the patient's tibial crest. Data is recorded in 300 step segments and downloaded to the clinicians computer. The units will collect information on stride time, velocity, CoG changes, knee flexion degrees, tibial deceleration and other parameters. The system provides an instant visual that can be accessed a snapshot or as animated replay. You can contact the company at WWW.Walkjoy.com and set up a Go To Meeting time or in Southern California a clinical half day visit with your patients.
        David

Comment

Hi Mark,

we offer a software solution which has different modules, e.g. clinical gait analysis for a very fast checkup of patients. It is portable because you can use it with a notebook and with the latest camera technologies (from 1 to 6 cameras). Also, you can combine the software with force plates, EMG, pressure plates and other analog devices. The automatic report shows you gait cycle parameters (stance phase, swing phase, double-, single support...), Angles (shoulder and pelvic obliquity, trunk angle, knee angle, ankle angle and others).
          Just have a look on http://www.contemplas.com/clinical_g...s_walkway.aspx
          and contact us if you are interested.

With best regards,

Kim

Comment

Hi Mark,
            my name is Valentina and I'm writing from BTS Bioengineering.
            I think that our BTS G-WALK will answer your needs:
            The system uses only one inertial sensor connected to a computer via Bluetooth allowing you to determine spatio-temporal parameters as well as pelvic rotations. The sensor is located around the waist of the patient and secured by an ergonomic belt allowing free body movement: the patient will be free to walk anywhere. When testing is over an automatically generated report will show you the calculation of test parameters. These indexes are the result of a 3 years long study which has been validated by the most avant-garde clinical centers in the world. The test can be run more than once in different patient conditions (such as wearing an orthosis or using walking aids) in order to test the actual affect of such different conditions.

I'm available to provide you more information. Just send me an email please.
            Best regards,
            Valentina

Comment

Hi Mark,

i know you said you would want to avoid cameras as these are not well portable and most of these systems need quite some time for analysis. But maybe Aktisys from Simi is something you can use. The system is delivered in a small suitcase where everything fits in (Laptop ,high speed camera, LEDs, tripod, cables). Through tracking coloured LEDs it provides you with basic gait parameters as sagital and frontal joint angles, stride lenghts, stance phase/swing phase, ROM, gait velocity in only a few minutes. The LEDs are tracked in realtime on the high speed video and the report is completely automatic. Also the setup only takes some minutes. The price is very competitive. You should ask. It is very affordable. You can watch a video here on how to use it also showing the report it produces. Maybe this can be interesting to solve your problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcv6B...1DDE254A0740E7

Philipp

Comment

Dear Phillip, Valentina, Kim, etc,

I see that this thread has "woken up" recently so I thought that I should chime in to give some feedback from my experience so far with the Mobility Lab system. So far me and my staff have been extremely satisfied with the ease of use, portability, and output of the Mobility Lab system. The team at APDM have helped us every step of the way, from installation to interpretation. It is exactly what we needed. I am happy with my purchase and would recommend it to others.

Thank you all for providing information about systems, it is obviously too late for me, but the information is great for others who are looking.

Mark

Comment

Dear Mark,
                  thank you for your answer. I've appriciated it.
                  May I anyway invite you to our weekly webinars? they are free and easy to follow: you just need an internet connection.
                  If you are interested please write me an email @ valentina.monte@btsbioengineering.com
                  Best regards,
                  valentina

Comment

Mark,
                    LEGSys is an ultra-portable, wireless, patient-wearable gait analysis platform from BioSensics. It allows clinicians to perform a quantitative gait analysis in under 5 minutes from a PC, smartphone, or tablet device. The system consists of two wearable motion sensors that transmit data real-time via Bluetooth, and will generate an automatic PDF report of several gait parameters to keep with a patients file. The included software is compatible with PC, smartphone, or tablet (android/windows) The system comes in a small padded hard-shell carrying case, and is very affordable at $1,950.00.
                    Last edited by Joe Mahoney; August 27, 2013, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Hey Mark,

Quite a popular thread you started. Glad you chose APDM's Mobility Lab!

I want to highlight some new innovative features of our system that will certainly keep us ahead of the other gait assessment systems.

Upper Body Metrics: This is actually not a new feature to our system, but I want to highlight it to differentiate Mobility Lab from other systems out there. We can measure trunk movement, arm movement, and postural transitions, which in numerous studies have shown to be more sensitive to movement disorders and fall risk than lower limb measures.

Gait Metrics: In addition to typical spatial/temporal measures, we will be releasing our newest algorithms (in validation studies now) at the beginning of next year that can measure aspects of gait previously only found in video-based systems. We can measure the three dimensional path of the foot through swing phase. Measures include foot drop, dociflexion and planterflexion, circumduction, path deviation, and foot clearance. The algorithm will also improved the accuracy and reliability of our spatial/temporal measures of lower limb gait. The code for measuring gait from the shank is good, but our new code is superior (from the foot).

Long-term Monitoring: We have a competitive advantage over all other wearable sensor companies because of our mesh synchronization protocol. Basically, it allows us to sync multiple sensors on the same timestamp without needing a host computer (or phone) dictating the synchronization. No others can do it. The kinematic data stores on an 8Gb memory card (30 days of continuous storage) and the sensors can last for 12-50 hours depending on configuration. Thus, we have been developing a long-term gait monitoring solution. It can output all of the Mobility Lab measures, as well as activity. This technology will revolutionize the activity monitoring industry. It is currently in use in a couple of studies, and we would like to invite researchers to use the system. Email me if you are interested, matt@apdm.com.

Collaboration: As many of you know, APDM has some of the top engineers, signal processors, and researchers on staff. As such, we would love to collaborate on SBIR grants with other innovative researchers. We have a strong award record (link), and grants are much more likely to be funded if there is a commercial opportunity. Send me an email if you are interested as well.

apdm.com/mobility

Best,

Matt

Comment

Hi Mark (and others),

also a very good and fast solution is Simi Aktisys. It is a video based system but captures all data completely auomatic in real-time by 5 small LED markers with remote control. You can see the product details here

You can find the report Aktisys provides for gait analysis here

The system comes in a small portable box with Laptop, High Speed camera, 5 markers and Software. Setup of the system takes about 5 - 10 minutes depending on experience level and conditions on site. Analysis is done in real-time.

Best regards
                        Philipp

Comment

Working...
                        X