Video based kinematic analysis software for teaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video based kinematic analysis software for teaching

We are reviewing the software we use for teaching kinematic analysis for undergraduate and postgraduate sport and exercise biomechanics. We are looking for the best system for use with students for learning the essentials of manual video analysis. This will mostly involve 2D analyses but the capacity for 3D would be useful. We would also want to be able to process the data and display core kinematic variables via the same software without having to export to another application.

We would be interested to know what systems others are using and theirrelative merits for this application.

Re: Video based kinematic analysis software for teaching

Neil - Hamill and Knutzen nicely integrate MaxTRAQ software into their textbook (Biomechanical Basis of Human Movement 3rd ed). I think you can purchase standalone student versions as well with several configurations (2d, 3d) from innovision (http://www.innovision-systems.com/Products/MaxTraq.html).

We often use freeware/open source tools such as imageJ (rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/).

Kevin

Comment

Neil,
      please have a look our video analysis software TEMPLO. It supports DV, HDV and high-speed cameras as well as analog data from third party force platforms, EMG etc.
      Your students could use it with a mobile computer.
      Due to its simple and well-structured user interface it can be used out-of-the box without special training.

Regards,

Thomas.

Comment

Neil and all,

I'd like to recommend Kwon3D 3.1 for teaching. It can be downloaded from http://kwon3d.com > Community > Downloads. The package contains 5 programs:

- Kwon3D: the main program for data processing and analysis
        - KwonCC: camera calibration
        - KwonBSP: individualized BSP data generation (methods: Chandler, Zatsiorsky, Hanavan, Yeadon...)
        - KwonPA: ensemble average
        - KwonFP: foot print generation

There are two sister programs which are also available for download: KwonGRF 2.0 and Visol DV express.

- KwonGRF: ground reaction force processing
        - DV Express: DV capture

Kwon3D and KwonGRF can be used in pair for inverse dynamics.

The theoretical foundation of these programs can be found at: http:/kwon3d.com/theories.html. The programs and the theoretical foundation will make a good teaching tool.

Any Kwon3D/KwonGRF-specific questions may be posted to the "Kwon3D Users" group on Facebook.

Cheers,
        Young-Hoo

Comment

Hi Neil,

For a very basic introduction to kinematics for your students you may like this iPhone app:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/verni...cs/id389784247

Regards
          Nick Flyger
          PhD Scholar (Cycling)
          Physiology - Australian Institute of Sport
          Australian Sports Commission

AIS Cycling / Cycling Australia High Performance Unit

Comment

Originally posted by nfowler50 View Post
            We are reviewing the software we use for teaching kinematic analysis for undergraduate and postgraduate sport and exercise biomechanics. We are looking for the best system for use with students for learning the essentials of manual video analysis. This will mostly involve 2D analyses but the capacity for 3D would be useful. We would also want to be able to process the data and display core kinematic variables via the same software without having to export to another application.

We would be interested to know what systems others are using and theirrelative merits for this application.
            I've used KAVideo at both my current institution and when I formerly worked at the University of Auckland. It was developed by the San Fransisco State University Kinesiology Department. Best of all, it is freely available for academic use. It has a pretty comprehensive user manual and doesn't take too long to learn. I have only used it for 2D application but apparently it can handle 3D as well.

Comment

Maybe SkillSpector is a solution for your problem. It's freeware and can handle 2d and 3d. I have never used that. You can download it here: http://video4coach.com

Regards,
              Christian

----
              Dipl.-Sporting. Ch. Baumgart
              Bergische Universität Wuppertal
              Fachbereich G
              Arbeitsbereich Bewegungswissenschaft
              www.bewegungswissenschaft.uni-wuppertal.de
              Fon: 0202/439 3758
              Fax: 0202/439 3125

Gebäude I-14.66
              Fuhlrottstraße 10
              42119 Wuppertal

Forschungszentrum für Leistungsdiagnostik und Trainingsberatung (FLT)
              flt@uni-wuppertal.de
              www.flt.uni-wuppertal.de
              Sekretariat: 0202/439 3226

Comment

Neil - MaxTRAQ Educational is in Biomechanical Basis of Human Movement by Hamill/Knutzen, Basic Biomechanics by Susan Hall (6th Edition) to name a few. MaxTRAQ is owned by Motion Analysis Products - MAP. For students who puchase used books, they can also get the companion MaxTRAQ for that book at www.motionanalysisproducts.com at a very low cost. MAP also has MaxTRAQ Lite+ with a 6 month time stamp. It has theWiz OPEN BOOK (a.k.a. ieBooks) included. Teachers can insert his/her own text (hyperlink, simple scripting, etc.). Food for thought.

Victoria L. Berger
                Motion Analysis Products

Comment

I just want to clearify one thing since it was not clear from the post above:

MaxTRAQ Educational Edition only is owned by MAP. The rights to MaxTRAQ Lite+ is shared with Innovision Systems, Inc.

Just so there are no confusions, Innovision Systems, Inc. will continue to develop, sell, distribute and support MaxTRAQ Lite+ and MaxTRAQ 2D Standard Edition as well as MaxMATE, MaxRUN, MaxBIKE, MaxTRAQ 3D, MaxTRAQ S3D and MaxPRO.

Regards,
                  Manfred

Comment

Working...
                  X