Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free software for unit conversion (from Voltage to Newton)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free software for unit conversion (from Voltage to Newton)

Hi, I am wondering whether somebody could suggest me some free sofware to convert units from voltage to Newton. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashok

Re: Free software for unit conversion (from Voltage to Newton)

Hi Ashok,

What sort of device are you working with? The conversion will depend on the device, and is often specified by the manufacturer, or you may have to calibrate it yourself (i.e. measure the voltages associated with a number of known forces and fit a curve to the data). There is not a set physical relationship between voltage (electrical potential difference) and Newtons (force).

Comment

Hi Ross,

Many thanks for your suggestion. I will work on it. I have collected data (strain / tension values) with an uni-axial Celtron load cell (model STC 250kg). I have calibrated with some known weights to quantify the corresponding Newton values to Voltage values recorded during tension applied to the load cell. In one study, I found that the authors used a Chart software (ADInstruments, Australia)to convert the amplified voltage signal into Newtons of force, using the appro-
      priate conversions for the load cell used. I was wondering whether is there any free software that I get.

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Regards,
      Ashok

Comment

Why not just create a spreadsheet to do this using the load cell documentation?

I was faced with a similar problem many years ago and wrote a spreadsheet to calculate the various scaling factors required by C3D files when Force Plate and Load Cell data is stored. You can find the spreadsheet on the C3D web site if you want to use it - c3d_scale.xls - it's probably more complex than you need but it should give you a start in the right direction.

Comment

Excel's a reasonable choice for doing small projects, but if you need something that's free to handle a lot of trials/collections using the device I'd suggest using a free language like Python, or perhaps one of Microsoft's languages that they allow you to use at no cost (Visual C# Express, for instance) to write your own software that reads in the signals and applies the appropriate offsets/scale factors. This isn't as difficult as it may sound and would help speed things up and automate your collection process, as well as give you the skills you'd need to do similar things in the future.

Have a good one,

Dan

Comment

Converte.exe is a wonderful free unit conversion program written by Josh Madison. It is used extensively throughout the aerospace industry.

I like it because there is a “custom” tab where you can enter your own conversions. My favorite is for converting O2 consumption in (ml of O2)/(kg-min) to mass specific power in watts/kg.

You can easily find it through any search engine.

I’ve used:

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

Ted

Comment

Ashok, it sounds like you have the data you need as long as you're confident in the weights being accurate. If you have Excel like Dan mentioned, it has a number of simple curve-fitting options that will give you a V-to-N calibration equation.

Comment

Ashok -

All you need to do is run a regression of weights against voltage - you could use Excel for this as the previous commenters noted. If you want truly free software, you could use R (http://cran.r-project.org/). The R2 from your regression should be at least 0.99 if you are to trust your data (see Biewener and Full 1992).

HTH,
                Jesse
                Last edited by Jesse W. Young; June 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Many thanks to all the commenters for all their valuable suggestions. I joined this forum newly and I am surprised to see such an overwhelming support to my post. I will work on with the suggestions provided and will post an update soon regarding which method worked best for my data.

Cheers,
                  Ashok

Comment

Working...
                  X