Calibration of Xsens system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibration of Xsens system

I am using the Xsens MT system for some reasearch, but am struggling to come up with a simple, quick and accurate initial subject setup. Can anyone suggest soomething?
    So far we have tried to flex the hip and knee in sagittal whilst the subject is lying supine and then assuming all recorded motion for this is in the sagittal plane, but I suspect this is only a rough approximation.
    Thank you, Penny Hewart

Re: Calibration of Xsens system

Dear Penny,

you have asked a very good question, especially considering that the use of inertial sensors for sensor-to-segment calibration is very recent with respect to other measurement systems.

I think that the answer to your question really depends on your application. However, since you are interested in lower limb application, I suggest you to start from this very good article wrote together with Eng. Cutti , which also gives the mathematics behind to use static and functional calibration for the description of lower limb joint angles, using MTx from Xsens.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19911214

Best regards,

Pietro Garofalo

Originally posted by phewart39 View Post
    I am using the Xsens MT system for some reasearch, but am struggling to come up with a simple, quick and accurate initial subject setup. Can anyone suggest soomething?
    So far we have tried to flex the hip and knee in sagittal whilst the subject is lying supine and then assuming all recorded motion for this is in the sagittal plane, but I suspect this is only a rough approximation.
    Thank you, Penny Hewart

Comment

Originally posted by phewart39 View Post
      Thank you, Penny Hewart
      I can't directly help you, but I know someone who can. His name is Gert Faber. He is a post doc at Harvard and is working at the Liberty Mutual Research Institute. He is an expert user of the Xsens and is a very approachable researcher. You can reach him at gertfaber.sci at gmail.com.

Comment

Thank you Andrew for sharing the contacts of Gert Faber!
        I hope you don't mind if I contact him as well for discussion a similar case.

Comment

Working...
        X