Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrasound Guided Fine-wire EMG

Hello,
    Is anyone aware of research groups with published experience doing ultrasound guided fine-wire EMG? I know Paul Hodges group (Queensland, AUS) has this capability. Are there others?

I appreciate any leads that can be provided!

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Ultrasound Guided Fine-wire EMG

Dear Matt,
    My colleague here at Glasgow Caledonian University (Scotland), Ruth Barn (ruth.barn@gcu.ac.uk) has extensive experience with ultrasound-guided fwEMG for tibialis posterior. George Murley at LaTrobe is also experienced with this technique and assisted us with training. Relevant publications from our group:

1: Barn R, Brandon M, Rafferty D, Sturrock RD, Steultjens M, Turner DE, Woodburn J. Kinematic, kinetic and electromyographic response to customized foot orthoses in patients with tibialis posterior tenosynovitis, pes plano valgus and rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014 Jan;53(1):123-30. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/ket337. Epub 2013 Oct 3. PubMed PMID: 24097135.

2: Barn R, Turner DE, Rafferty D, Sturrock RD, Woodburn J. Tibialis posterior tenosynovitis and associated pes plano valgus in rheumatoid arthritis: electromyography, multisegment foot kinematics, and ultrasound features. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013 Apr;65(4):495-502. doi: 10.1002/acr.21859. PubMed PMID: 22972604.

3: Barn R, Rafferty D, Turner DE, Woodburn J. Reliability study of tibialis posterior and selected leg muscle EMG and multi-segment foot kinematics in rheumatoid arthritis associated pes planovalgus. Gait Posture. 2012 Jul;36(3):567-71. doi: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2012.05.008. Epub 2012 Jun 20. PubMed PMID: 22721819.

4: Semple R, Murley GS, Woodburn J, Turner DE. Tibialis posterior in health and disease: a review of structure and function with specific reference to electromyographic studies. J Foot Ankle Res. 2009 Aug 19;2:24. doi: 10.1186/1757-1146-2-24.

Kind reagrds,
    Jim Woodburn,
    Glasgow Caledonian Universit, UK

Comment

Katharine Alter is the medical director in our lab and she recently co-authored a book entitled "Ultrasound-Guided Chemodenervation Procedures: Text and Atlas". While it focuses on neurotoxin, the procedures should be the same for fine wire. She does use ultrasound-guided fine wire in our lab.

Chris Stanley
      National Institutes of Health

Comment

Although I don't have any publications (yet) I am conducting my dissertation using diagnostic ultrasound guidance for fine-wire emg of the pectoralis minor, rhomboid major, and levator scapulae. We have found the diagnostic ultrasound to be very useful in confirming our palpation and proper depth of electrode insertion.

Comment

Dr Kornelia Kulig's (kulig@usc.edu) group at University of Southern California has published experience with ultrasound guided fine wire EMG particularly in the lower back region. Below are 2 of her group's publications.

Armour-Smith J and Kulig K: Does insertion of intramuscular electrodes alter motor behavior during locomotion? In Review: Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2015 Jan 16.. [Epub ahead of print]

Beneck GJ, Baker LL, Kulig K: Fatigability assessment of the lumbar extensors in persons with chronic low back pain: an EMG spectral analysis using intramuscular electrodes. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 23:70-77, 2013

Kristamarie Pratt
          University of Southern California

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input, it has been invaluable. Looks like I have some following-up to do!

Best Regards,

Matt

Comment

Working...
            X