Measuring forces at the limb-socket interface during cycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring forces at the limb-socket interface during cycling

Hello. I would like to collect force data from within a trans-tibial prosthetic socket during cycling. I am interested to see if the reported reduction in hip and knee joint moments while using a non-circular chain ring (Strutzenberger et al., 2014, Bisi et al., 2010) induce changes in the pressure on the residual limb during the transition over top dead center of the pedal stroke.

Has anyone measured forces within the prosthetic socket during cycling? I am considering using 4 FlexiForce A201 sensors (Tekscan) in the anterior, posterior, and lateral positions. An analog circuit and custom code would be used to integrate collected data into a data acquisition system. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Re: Measuring forces at the limb-socket interface during cycling

My experience with Tekscan hasn't been great, it has low sampling rates and a course resolution. However, if you're wanting to measure pressure that's probably the best way to go.

If you can get what you need by measuring the reaction forces on the prosthesis, you could strain gage the pylon in a simple way to turn it into a six axis force transducer.

One paper describes how to do this very well is: Kim et. al. "Design and analysis of a column type multi-component force/moment sensor", 2003, Measurement, 33(3) 213-19

Comment

Re: Measuring forces at the limb-socket interface during cycling

I would suggest the use of single-tact sensors. They supposedly have increased accuracy and repeatability when compared to an FSR. They are slightly more costly, require specific electronics to get the best performance, and you can also purchase them pre-calibrated.

Comment

Working...
      X