Hello

This is a summary of the information I recieved in regards to my posting. I
have not had a chance to obtain all the following papers. I have found
useful information in Ono's paper with cadever head drop tests. The
apendeces included have tabulated the head accelerations and time durations
for impact speeds which can be compared to the one in question. The data
can then be compared to WSU graph, or other tolerance information. It
should be noted that the the impacted substance was not a windshield, but a
rubber compound with a durometer of between 20-80.

Here is other leads which were sent to me.

Chris Ingersoll has done some work in this area. A couple of his articles
that I have handy are: The effects of closed-head injury on postural sway.
Med Sci Sports Exerc 1992 Jul; 24 (7): 739-43.

The Glasgow Coma Scale for patients with head injuries. CRITICAL CARE NURSE
1987 Sep-Oct; 7 (5): 26-32.

This paper should have some more recent info.

Newman, J., et al.;"A New Biomechanical Assessment of Mild Traumatic Brain
Injury"; IRCOBI Conference Proceedings 1999 and 2000. Also check out some
earlier work by Tom Gennerelli (1982, 1968)

SAE J885 'Human Tolerance to Impact Conditions as Related to Motor Vehicle
Design'.

SAE 801303 "Human Head Tolerance to Sagittal Impact- Reliable Estimation
Deduced From Experimental Head Injury Using Subhuman Primates And Human
Cadever Skulls" Ono,et al.

(above paper determines the concussion tolerance curve (WSU)

The following paer discusses HIC for frontal head impacts into windshields.

SAE 780900 "Safety Performance of Asymmetric Windshields", Begeman et al.

The book SAE PT-43 "Biomechanics of Impact Injury and Injury Tolerances of
the Head-Neck Complex" S. Backaitis editor, 1993 has been useful as well.
(It contains the above papers as well as others)

these web sites may be useful

Try reviewing the proceedings from the Stapp Conferences which is now
managed by UMTRI (www.umtri.umich.edu). You might also look at the Society
of Automotive Engineers (SAE) web sit (www.sae.org) and NHTSA's web site
(www.nhtsa.gov).