I am trying to gather data describing the reliability of complex/multijoint, unilateral tasks. I have managed to find a number of articles reporting reliability of bilateral, multijoint tasks (Arnold & Perrin, 1993; Rahmani et al., 2000; Steiner et al., 1993; Wilhite et al., 1992). I've also found data suggesting that the variability of jump height, work, joint torque and joint power values are similar between uni- and bilateral vertical jumps (Van Soest et al., 1985). By examining data reported in studies investigating the effects of uni- and bilateral training I've noticed that the variability of uni- and bilateral tasks could be similar (Hakkinen et al., 1996; Howard & Enoka, 1991; Tanaguchi, 1997). It would make sense to be that unilateral tasks would offer lower reliability, although data collected in our lab suggests the load-velocity characteristics of the task, rather than the laterality, affects reliability. If anyone knows of research examining the variability/reliability of complex unilateral tasks could you please forward me the references.

As usual I will post a summary of replies.

Thanks in advance.

Tony.

References:
Arnold, B.L. & Perrin, D.H. (1993). The reliability of four different methods of calculating quadriceps peak torque and angle-specific torques at 30o, 60o and 75o. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 2: 243-250.

Hakkinen, K., Kallinen, M., Linnamo, V., Pastinen, U-M., Newton, R.U. & Kraemer, W.J. (1996). Neuromuscular adaptations during bilateral versus unilateral strength training in middle-aged and elderly men and women. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, 158: 77-88.

Howard, J.D. & Enoka, R.M. (1991). Maximum bilateral contractions are modified by neurally mediated interlimb effects. Journal of Applied Physiology, 70(1): 306-316.

Rahmani, A., Dalleau, G., Viale, F., Hautier, C. & Lacour, J-R. (2000). Validity and reliability of a kinematic device for measuring the force developed during squatting. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 16: 26-35.

Steiner, L.A., Harris, B.A. & Krebs, D.E. (1993). Reliability of eccentric isokinetic knee flexion and extension measurements. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 74: 1327-1335.

Tanaguchi, Y. (1997). Lateral specificity in resistance training: The effect of bilateral and unilateral training. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 75: 144-150.

Van Soest, A.J., Roebroeck, M.E., Bobbert, M.F., Huijing, P.A. & Van Ingen Schenau, G.J. (1985). A comparison of one-legged and two-legged countermovement jumps. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 17(6): 635-639.

Wilhite, M.R., Cohen, E.R. & Wilhite, S.C. (1992). Reliability of concentric and eccentric measurements of quadriceps performance using the KIN-COM dynamometer: The effect of testing order for three different speeds. Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 15(4): 175-182.

Anthony J. Blazevich, PhD.
Lecturer in Biomechanics
Department of Sport Sciences
Brunel University, Kingston Lane
Uxbridge UB8 3PH
UK

Email: anthony.blazevich@brunel.ac.uk
Phone: (+44) 01895 274 000 ext. 5784
Fax: (+44) 01895 816 341

---------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send SIGNOFF BIOMCH-L to LISTSERV@nic.surfnet.nl
For information and archives: http://isb.ri.ccf.org/biomch-l