I appreciate all the responses. I've seen some of these before, but thought on first glance that they required more effort to implement than I was willing to give them .

I was not familiar with the ITK toolkit. I was originally hoping for something I had a lot of control over – like some Matlab functions – but maybe I should look into this a bit more.

John, the speech example looks to be still a 2 curve warping example – I think maybe what the dtw function might be based on. I think I just learned something, however, from looking at that more. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. It looks like there is a method to grab the average of multiple curves, called DTWbarycenter averaging (or DBA). Then each curve gets time warped to that average using the dtw function. I think… so says Wikipedia. If so, that sounds easily doable in Matlab. DBA matlab code is at: https://github.com/fpetitjean/DBA/blob/master/DBA.m

I had seen the functional data analysis stuff from Jim Ramsay before, but it always seemed intimidating. I think that may very well be a good route to go if I can get in and understand it a bit better. Thank you also for the lecture notes, they are helpful.

It also sounds like there is a lot more available in R on this topic as well (if only I knew R).

I do hope that both curve registration and statistical waveform comparisons can get used more in biomechanics (separately and together). There is potentially a lot more information that can be conveyed. I’d encourage those who have used it successfully to help simplify it for those who would like to use it but are slightly intimidated.

Thanks,
-Dustin