From: Akademia Wychowania Fizycznego
To: lamre@acadvm1.uottawa.ca
Subject: Program WAV2TXT.PAS

Program wav2txt;
{
this program transforms any file named NAME.* into a text file
named NAME.TXT consisting of one column and sizeof(NAME.*) rows.
Each row in NAME.TXT displays one integer giving the value of
one byte from NAME.*.
If NAME.* = NAME.WAV (8 bit, mono), the file NAME.TXT contains
a short header, which can be skipped, and the values of the
sampled analog signal. 128 corresponds to 0 in the analog
signal.
File NAME.TXT can be read by EXCEL.
Usage: wav2txt NAME.*
Result: NAME.TXT

Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 21:03:40 +0100
From: Akademia Wychowania Fizycznego
To: lamre@acadvm1.uottawa.ca
Subject: Re: File conversion

Dear Mario,
I don't know if such a program exists but once I had the
idea of using a Soundblaster card as a AD converter.
A WAW file consists of a header and a part containing
samples of the analog signal. At least in the 8 bit, mono
mode the structure of the part containing samples is very
simple. The 8 bit resolution means that samples are numbers
from the range: 0-255. The zero level is 128 (or 80H),
minimum is 0 and maximum is 255 (FFH).
A conversion program could work as follows:
1. Skip the header.
2. Read byte by byte from the WAW file.
3. Convert bytes to integers.
4. Write the integers to a text file.
As a result you would obtain a text file containing numbers
corresponding to the samples from the WAW file. Such file
can be easily read from Excel.

Here is a pascal program corresponding to 2. to 4. above:

Program wav2txt;

This programs works well with 8 bit, mono WAV files.
I checked it with the WAV files which come with WINDOWS.
Diagrams displaying sound waves could be easily obtained
using EXCEL.

For 16 bit and/or stereo WAV files some minor modifications
of the program would be necessary.

Good luck!

Sincerely

Adam Siemienski