Thread: Normalization of Running Speeds

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Normalization of Running Speeds

Josh,

Sorry for the late reply. Perhaps this small dataset may help answer your question.

Six years ago I was interested in the relation between gait parameters (speed, step frequency/rate), anthropometrics (height, BM, age, gender) and training schedules for average road runners. About 40 out of 60 runners in a local 5K run volunteered. From a video at the 3K point I was able to estimate each participant's step frequency. I had wanted to capture their leg stiffness, so I could estimate their Mass Specific Power, but that didn't work out.

If you can work with Excel, you might examine the graphs to the right of Column T -- set the Zoom to 50% -- and see if the data might be of use. (The lower graphs are the participant's running velocity normalized to their Froude velocity.) Using sort and delete, you could pull out different sub-categories and examine their running biomechanics.

At another time I became interested in understanding how the Spring Mass Model connected with the step frequency across a runner's velocity range from a very low speed (v=0.5 m/s), through their walk-run transition speed and up to their max. I was interested in the "signature" of the SF(v) curve. If you're interested, I'll post that graph.

Hope this helps,

Ted
    Attached Files Attached Files