Thread: Centripedal forces and the calf muscle pump

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Centripedal forces and the calf muscle pump

No need to apologize Adam , as the best threads often included twists and turns in subject matter .

With regard to your very reasonable question -" In the paper you referenced, did they look at the calf muscle pump during gait? " then I would have to say that they did not .
    The foot and calf muscle pumps are generally viewed , by those active in this field of study , as being principally involved in countering the effects of gravity . Indeed , as far I am aware , this thread is the first time that the centrifugal effects generated during gait have ever been considered with regard to venous return .

If that is indeed the case then it is both very surprising and encouraging . Encouraging because if venous reflux is related to a very specific point in gait , then better treatments can be developed than are currently available .

Ideally , an expert in cardiovascular biomechanics might now make a contribution to the the thread . However , if I am correct in thinking that gait generated centrifugal effects have never been studied before in relation to venous return /reflux in the leg ,and perhaps never even considered , then such experts might not be queuing up to comment .

Gerry
    Last edited by Gerrard Farrell; 02-15-2019 at 02:15 PM.