Hi Ton,

Can I digress back to biomechanics from the bottle of HP sauce (neat analogy though Gerrard). ;-)

You mentioned sprinting in one of your previous posts, but I was wondering whether you came across any observations from a biomechanical perspective that distinguishes sprinting from running? Based on the seminal work of Cavagna and Alexander they showed that running can be dissociated from walking by differences in potential and kinetic energetics, sudden change in froude number (critical point at 0.5) and aerial phase versus no aerial phase. However, despite these claims I did noticed that Martyn Shorten, Ned Frederick and Dirk De Clercq recently presented and published an article on another form of human locomotion pattern called ‘grounded running.’ These guys characterized this locomotion pattern (observed in recreational runners) by having no aerial phase but the potential and kinetic energy dynamics are in phase i.e. similar to running. I suspect however that this mode of transport is heavily weighted on an individual’s body mass, speed, fatigue level and efficiency.

From my understanding sprinting can be dissociated from running by a physiological perspective/dimension (e.g. anaerobic metabolism), a psychological perspective (e.g. perceived effort or intensity), and possibly a motor control perspective (e.g. max/large neural drive) but are there any biomechanical aspects of ‘sprinting’ that can dissociate it from running? Or is it just running and if so, are we okay to characterize sprinting from another perspective?

Adam