Thread: Research on safest ways to carry kids on bikes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Research on safest ways to carry kids on bikes?

Does anyone know of current research happening on bicycle safety, specifically with respect to child safety seats, trailers, and ride-behinds? A colleague pointed me to some research from Ruina's group a decade or so ago on bicycle dynamics (example: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rspa.2007.1857) and I found some work on injury rates for bicycle-mounted child seats (example: https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/1684432). But what I REALLY want to see are guidelines similar to motor vehicle safety guidelines (rear facing, front facing, booster seat, etc.) that follow appropriate age/weight guidelines, something like:
    0-1 years old (<20lbs): Skip the bike, walk or use your stroller
    1-2 year old (20-?? lbs): Front mount seat
    .....: rear mount seat or bike trailer
    .....: kid cargo bike
    .....: ride behind bike
    Right now it's still like the wild west when choosing between these options, no safety regulations or certifications, etc. that I can find. But it seems like we have a good start on dynamic models, and injury rates (almost 5,000 in the decade studied above) that necessitate further research.

This is a bit out of my wheelhouse now as I'm non-tenure track faculty with a heavy teaching load. But I still do some engineering education research and would be happy to support any efforts here. I just fell on my bike with my 5 year old and it renewed my interest in trying to pursue this line of research.

Re: Research on safest ways to carry kids on bikes?

Dustyn,
    I am also looking for similar information specifically on bike trailers. We have a non-profit foundation that has provided bike adapters to a jogger for children with special needs. < www.jjstoysforfriends.org> . This jogger is rated up to 200 lbs. I have been unable to find any information on testing or standards.

Thanks, Trey <jospeh_crisco@brown.edu>

Re: Research on safest ways to carry kids on bikes?

I'd suggest looking for research from Holland - I think that bikes are far more popular there than anywhere else in the West - when I visited for an ESMAC meeting some years ago I saw a lot of mothers cycling with multiple kids of their bikes to school in the morning.